Raid Times and Progression Discussion

Public discussion forum for all registered users to participate in. Guests have read only access.
Gazroth

Raid Times and Progression Discussion

Post#1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:10 am

Hello Church,

I have some concerns I would like to share with you all to see if any compromise can be made here. I do not believe that the current schedule is optimal for many players in the guild (~50% only) because I am noticing reduced awareness and performance after 11 PM EST (8 PM PST). In addition, we are saving progression bosses for the end of the night, resulting in numerous wipes to the same problem and demoralizing the people who are playing correctly. However, my perception is highly biased due to my personal thoughts on this matter.

For example last night:

9:30 PM: 1 shot Elisande. Go Church!
10:00 PM: 2 shot Gul'Dan. Discuss loot, move to Krosus
11:00 PM: Few wipes on Skorpyron, overall attempts were good and kill attempt was very smooth up until the end
11:45 PM: We go to Anomoly, spend 45 minutes dying to trash and time bombs. The intent was clear - we are doing well, let's progress. Multiple wipes to time bomb at 50%.

What happened? Why did we keep wiping at 50% to a mechanic we are already familiar with? I have a suspicion that I am not the only one struggling with progression fights at midnight. Doing ANY progression after 11 PM has become increasingly more exhausting and difficult for me. By the time we got to Anomaly, raid awareness was at its lowest point in the night. In the past, I have had to drink coffee as late as midnight just to be aware enough to avoid mechanics like Elisande rings and Botanist Solar Burst.

Does anyone else feel that their performance, enjoyment and motivation falls off after a certain time in the night? And can any compromise be made for others having the same experiences?

Please share your opinion whether you agree or disagree. This is how I feel and I would like to know how others feel so that I can determine the best way for me to proceed.

tekniques

Re: Raid Times and Progression Discussion

Post#2 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:43 pm

I think you have some valid concerns here, I also noticed the end of the night turns into a slog a bit.

Unfortunately drastic changes to the schedule at this point could fragment the raid and with it any hopes of mythic progress.

Maybe some compromise can be made, such as front-loading progression on our nights. I kind of like that idea actually.

We can move down to heroic after break and people that need to leave early can leave or something.

Another more controversial idea may be to reduce raid time and make it 3 nights, like 7:30-9:30 Server time.

Emberstorm

Post#3 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:35 pm

tekniques wrote:Another more controversial idea may be to reduce raid time and make it 3 nights, like 7:30-9:30 Server time.

tekniques wrote:3 nights

NO

Spankeymank

Post#4 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:43 am

It is very very hard on people on EST. For you on PST you're getting done with raid at 930.

For those of us on EST 1230 is pretty late considering most of us get up to go to work around 6-7

Just my input.

Gazroth

Post#5 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Spankeymank wrote:It is very very hard on people on EST. For you on PST you're getting done with raid at 930.

For those of us on EST 1230 is pretty late considering most of us get up to go to work around 6-7

Just my input.

Thank you Spankey, this is the type of response I was hoping for, so now I don't feel so bad that I'm the only one struggling.

Anyone else, please feel free to share your thoughts so we can work something out that works for everyone. Also helps to know if me and Spankey are in a minority or if there are others who have just been silently pushing through.

And Tek: Just those two changes to frontload progression fights and then go back at 11 EST for heroic farm content with option to drop out would be perfect for me. It doesn't disrupt our current scheduling and it may end up benefiting our progression since we are getting more out of our EST players. The only concern is that it won't work for 7.2 launch until we unlock heroic then go back to normal for farm, but I can tough it out for a week or two if the compromise will be made afterwards.

We changed our raid time to accomodate Game of Thrones from what I remember, that 30 minute delay pushed raid end time from 12 to 12:30 and I feel like that's when I started having issues with the schedule. My ideal raid schedule would be 8-11 EST but I could work with 9-12. Could we consider going back 30 minutes? More than that would affect too many players I'm sure, so I'm not going to push for my ideal 8-11.

hitkilla

Post#6 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 pm

I live in CST so the raid times are too bad. As for my opinion, I am against anything that could pushes raid times later, but I am for anything that pushes raid time earlier to an extent of maybe 1 hour maximum. I wasn't here when yall decided the current raid times, but for college students this website makes planning meetings cake. https://www.when2meet.com/

Gizzmoe

Post#7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:53 pm

It's 2 nights a week. Not 7 nights a week. I have a wife and 2 kids. One is 3 the other is a month. We work for the same company and I'm sure I have to be there earlier than you (7:30). I'm also older than you - with all of that in play I find it odd that I'm not having any issues with current raid times. In fact they are better than what old Church used to be (they went until 1:30am 3 nights a week)

While I do agree that the majority of the guild is no longer PST, I don't think we need to overhaul our raid days or times. The last change was not for Game Of Thrones. It was a combination of reasons stemmed from Rammz petitioning a 30 minute change so his wife wouldn't divorce him.

TL:DR - no Change needed. Life happens. You can make it or you can't. No one holds that against anyone. If we do change. I can't go any earlier than 9pm est and even that's pushing it. I like to spend time with my wife and she usually goes to bed between 9 and 930. Baby also gets bottle between 9 and 930.

Also Spank goes to bed at like 5PM so unless we are moving raid earlier than that - nothing will keep him from being tired.

Quickpole

Post#8 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:00 pm

There is no doubt that the schedule is rough on people. There is also no doubt that every single person on the active roster knew this and decided to be part of that schedule, so we cannot cry foul by surprise.

Juggling the schedule of so many people with such differing priorities and desires is very difficult. I commend Tek and the officers for all of their work. I know what it is like to be in their shoes.

Bottom line, everyone needs to decide if the lateness of our raids is acceptable to their WoW future or not and decide if they can handle it. Sacrificing your sleep is not worth it. Sacrificing your emotional fortitude, not worth it. I would say the only thing worth sacrificing for here are the bonds we've forged in our progress over the past years.

I'm flexible with whatever schedule.

Korthuulon

Post#9 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:53 pm

The schedule can be rough for me since my report time for each work shift is earlier and earlier throughout the week. I try to work around this though via naps earlier in the day and spending time with family/chores before raid time.

I think Tek's solution is the simplest and most eloquent one at this point. We shouldnt have any fractured raids or attendance issues where we need it most, and afterwards people can step out as needed without worries of letting others down or tut-tutting from the guild. We will also be less tired on progression pulls.

Raven

Post#10 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Well said in that we all knew what the schedule was and signed up for it. On the other hand, with 3 healers being on EST, I think Tek's compromise is a good one and I would vote for that. Just human nature is that we will be most on our game early in the raid.